Art Workshop - 2 Day Watercolour Animals
November 2019 Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd - OPEN FOR ENROLMENT
(2 days) From 9am until 4pm
* Check number of places at cart below
$495 Workshop only - you supply materials (Click here to buy)
$595 Workshop and I supply all your materials (Click here to buy)
What You Learn?
How on earth are you going to do this, especially if you have no major art experience? I will teach you how, using the age old techniques of scaling and even projecting your image onto the large watercolour paper to cut short the process of drawing to exact proportion. Learning to draw properly can take decades of training and practice, and we only have 2 days and this workshop is about watercolour painting! To comfort you, it is believed that Vermeer used a crude form of a camera to project his subjects onto his canvas in order to create his masterpieces, which had incredible photo like accuracy. Ever wonder how 14 year olds in art shows are painting like Masters? We are essentially shortcutting so we can get to the painting process.
So bury your guilt and just enjoy focusing on how to use watercolour paint with big brushes, and puddles of paint, to explore blending, bleeding, and washing to create a gorgeous painting that will look like your animal. The sky’s the limit in how you can go on and use this method at home to create incredible floral’s and portraits.
I will gently push you to set up a very big and bold composition, so it has impact and gives you space to really step inside the painting and play with the medium as you progress.
We will start with painting quick little animal studies in watercolour in just seconds. Here we practice with ‘expressive’ little studies, which are more naïve and playful, a completely valid method to continue with. This practice will allow us to practice with techniques of washes on a small scale, in preparation for our main paintings.
Then you will follow my steps as we paint a small watercolour from a photo I provide to the whole class, so you can follow my lead and make mistakes with abandon.
Then it’s time for our major painting/s (if you are speedy, you could get two done!). We will follow the idea as shown in the main watercolour of George on page 1, using negative white space, and a very large strong portrait like this. We want to make an impact. So think carefully about the photos you bring (see Materials for more detail).
What Are We Painting?
Your favourite pet or an animal you love (could be a zebra but not people).
What You Take Home
- A stack of loose fun animal studies
- A small watercolour study following my lead as best you can
- Your own large scale watercolour (or 2 if you are fast) of your animal
- Some great tips on how to paint using watercolour on a larger scale.
What do you need to bring?
- VIP – Your photos (see more detailed information far below)
- Material list below
- Your lunch and snacks to nibble
- Wear comfy clothes that don’t mind a splash of paint
What I supply?
- Coffee tea making facilities (by all means bring your special cup!)
- Some morning tea nibbles
- Toilet facilities
Who is this workshop suitable for?
- This workshop is suitable for artists of an level of experience
- This workshop is not designed for young children; however, young adults and mature teens are welcome. Please check in with me to be sure.
How many are there in the class?
- Maximum of 8 students
Where is it?
- Helen Norton Art Studio – Located in Lesmurdie * (registered students will be sent the address upon payment). Lesmurdie is a suburb in the Perth Hills and about 25-30 mins drive east from Perth city.
When is the workshop?
Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd November 2019 (2 days) From 9am until 4pm
- Secure your spot – Payment must be made on our website to secure your spot. Please read our Terms and Conditions on Refunds and Student Expectations.
What if I miss out?
- If you have any further questions or wish to be placed on a wait list for this workshop if it is sold out please call me on 0418 921648 or email firstname.lastname@example.org