Art Workshop - 2 Day Intuitive Expressive Loose Flowers in Acrylic and Mixed Media - Oct 19th and 20th 2019
Intuitive Expressive Loose Flowers
Acrylic and Mixed Media
2 Day Art Workshop
Location: Lesmurdie WA (Perth Hills)
Sat 19th and Sun 20th October 2019 - 9am until 4pm
Suitable for all levels of experience – beginners to advanced.
For those who love to play intuitively with colour and have fun without too much structure.
In this two day painting adventure, our muse is the flower, both real and imagined, which we will
transform into vibrant, energetic and beautiful paintings with loose and expressive methods.
What You Learn?
A tiny little bit of formal art stuff about what we are about to embark on (the style and where it fits in the art world), which will reinforce our confidence in the process ahead – so we never ask ourselves again … what am I doing here, this can’t be serious, because it’s such fun?
Then it’s onto the action as we loosen up with fast and colourful studies. It’s all about trusting the sometimes chaotic process and I will lead you in and out of that. The idea is to throw down a bridge for ourselves, between abstraction and reality and to break our habits of fussing and getting stuck in fear and detail. We learn when to let go and when and how to recognise and capture the happy accidents. Some of the things we will explore are:-
- Three colour challenge – how to get the most out of a tiny palette of colours, with a quick lesson in basic colour theory.
- Other things we will touch on as we go through the 2 days are - negative space painting, composition, line, edge, tone, using neutrals, and yes these basics do matter even in abstract expression paintings but they won’t spoil your freedom, they will reinforce it.
- How to make your colours explode on the canvas using some special tricks. So it’s no longer just an accident when it happens (although creative accidents are great too)
- How to see things differently so you can create something you never expected.
What Are We Painting?
Real fresh flowers! We are going to explore the strange land between what ‘they’ are and how we can catch their essence in gesture, form and colour (loose painting) as opposed to minute detail. Go and buy yourself a bunch!
What You Take Home
- Lots of small colourful painted studies on paper
- 2-3 medium to large completed canvas (bring more canvas if you are a super speedy painter)
What do you need to bring?
- Your printed photos and magazine pics (see more detailed information far below)
- A big bunch of colourful flowers (try to have different interesting shapes)
- Art Material list below
- A sense of fun and a loose mindset (as far as the painting that is)
- Your lunch and snacks to nibble
- Wear comfy clothes that don’t mind a splash of paint
What I supply?
- Coffee tea making things (by all means bring your special cup!)
- Some morning tea snacks
- Toilet facilities
Who is this workshop suitable for?
- This workshop is suitable for artists of any level of experience, and especially for those who love colour and just want to paint loosely and have fun. You do not need any art training to enjoy this workshop. I will touch on some art principles but they are there to help you get the best result you can.
- This workshop is not designed for young children; however, young adults and mature teens are welcome. Please check in with me to be sure.
How many are there in the class?
- Maximum of 8 students.
Where is it?
- Helen Norton Art Studio – Located in Lesmurdie * (registered students will be sent the address upon payment). Lesmurdie is a suburb in the Perth Hills and about 25-30 mins drive east from Perth city.
When is the workshop?
Sat 19th and Sun 20th October 2019 (2 days) From 9am until 4pm
- Secure your spot – Payment must be made on our website to secure your spot. Please read our Terms and Conditions on Refunds and Student Expectations.
What if I miss out?
- If you have any further questions or wish to be placed on a wait list for this workshop if it is sold out please call me on 0418 921648 or email email@example.com
Cost: 2 Day Workshop