Art Workshop - 2 Day Oil Painting Workshop - Landscape with Animal
(A landscape scene with an animal)
2 Day Art Workshop
For all Levels of Experience
In Lesmurdie WA (Perth Hills)
2019 - Oil Workshops
November 2019 Sat 30th and Sun 1st December- *OPEN NOW FOR ENROLMENT
November 2019 Sat 15th and Sun 16th - SOLD OUT
September 2019 Sat 7th and Sun 8th - SOLD OUT
August 2019 - Sat 11th and Sun 12th - SOLD OUT
(2 days) From 9am until 4pm
* Check number of places available at cart below links
$495 Workshop only - you supply materials (Click here to buy)
$595 Workshop and I supply all your materials (Click here to buy)
I will take you through the process of painting a good size oil painting of a landscape with an animal of your choice - to form a sense of narrative. Using one of my own landscape paintings as our guide, we will go from the blank canvas to the final touches, using brush and palette knife to create the work using the alla prima or wet in wet painting method. The style will be in keeping with the painting shown below "Two Dogs in Hills".
What You Learn?
We will start with a quick chat about some hard-core basics of oil paints, pigments and mediums so you understand how to use them more clearly including looking after your brushes (and yourself around them). Fundamentals in colour theory, tone, line, composition, as well as tricks and tips will be sprinkled through the 2 days so you can see them in action rather than theory.
- We can’t dally as we have a ton of work to do. We will warm up and try out our techniques with a small oil painting together, you follow me.
- We need to prepare our larger canvas for the next days work, and I show you the shortcuts so it’s ready for our big alla prima day!
- On day 2 we roll up your sleeves and get cracking on the large work with me leading you through the process by showing you step by step how I construct the painting. You see - then do. I will be helping you individually as you work through the steps I have shown. We will be learning about painting skies, clouds, distance, trees, and of course your animal.
What You Take Home
- Your visual diary work and some hand outs.
- Your small oil painting.
- One large completed oil painting (Note, on Day 2, make sure you clear an area in your car boot or behind your seat to lay your completed large oil painting so it does not touch up against anything. The oil paint will be wet and thick in places. Choose your canvas with the size of your empty boot in mind! 76x76cm will fit in most boots, but please check. Alternatively you can come back and pick up the work on an arranged day when it’s dry, but because we are using some impasto (thick paint) techniques, it might take a week or two to dry.
What You Need To Bring?
- A few photos of an animal/s you would like to include in the landscape. (see notes below)
- Material list below
- Your lunch and snacks to nibble
- Wear comfy clothes that don’t mind a splash of paint
What I Supply?
- Coffee tea making facilities (by all means bring your special cup!)
- Toilet facilities
- Everything to paint with if you opt for the $100 material package
Who is this workshop suitable for?
- This workshop is suitable for artists or non-artists of any level of experience.
- This workshop is not designed for young children; however, young adults and mature teens are welcome. Please check in with me to be sure.
How many are there in the class?
- Maximum of 8 students, for this first class, so you will get loads of attention and help.
Where is it?
- Helen Norton Art Studio – Located in Lesmurdie * (registered students will be sent the address upon payment). Lesmurdie is a suburb in the Perth Hills and about 25-30 mins drive east from Perth city.
- Payment must be made on our website to secure your spot. Please read our Terms and Conditions on Refunds and Student Expectations. *See Terms and Conditions for Cancellations and Student Policies
- 2 Day Workshop - $495 per person.
- Plus if you want all materials supplied – add on $100 (I will give you a squeeze out of my tubes, and supply you with brushes and all other materials you need which I get to keep, but you take home the finished canvas). I will need to know in advance so I can prepare your canvas which I supply.
What if I miss out this time?
- Due to the very short lead time I don’t expect the workshop to be full, but if I am overwhelmed with bookings, and you miss out PLEASE contact me, and I will put your name on a waiting list, and you will get first pick if someone cancels or when I schedule the next one.
- If you have any further questions please call me on 0418 921648 or email email@example.com
Animal Alert :-)
There are two very friendly Labradors, George and Ruby and a fluffy cat - Cookie on the premise, but apart from saying hello if you would like to, they won’t be in the studio. We would never get any work done.
I am working on creating more types of weekend workshops, using different mediums and techniques. Make sure you subscribe to my website to get notified.
CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE MATERIALS LIST